This 5 day course provides the practical element of the Gem-A Diploma in Gemmology.
Over the duration of the course you will handle a wide range of natural, man-made (synthetic), assembled, imitation and treated gemstones. You will learn how to observe them and what to look for to start to recognise them. You will learn how to use standard gemmological equipment accurately and efficiently. What the key tests are for identifying common and commercial gemstones, and build more advanced skills and knowledge to learn how to become a proficient practical gemmologist.
You will be taught by Kerry Gregory an experienced practical gemmologist and tutor, who has real world experience of testing gemstones as well as of teaching these skills to a range of students, with differing ages, experience and learning abilities and styles. You will be supported before, during and after the course.
• Learn how to identify natural, man-made and imitation gemstones using standard gemmological equipment
• Detailed observation and recording of gemstone features using a 10x loupe, microscope and different light sources
• How to use, and record and interpret the results of:
o Chelsea Colour Filter (CCF)
o Specific Gravity Testing
• Creating a data profile of a gemstone to ascertain an accurate identification
• Weight estimation of mounted gemstones
• Students on the Gem-A Diploma in Gemmology
• 30 hours tutor led instruction
• Use of practice gemstones
• Loan of equipment if needed
• Morning and afternoon refreshments every day
Skills & experience needed:
• Must have already completed the Foundation in Gemmology
• Practical Endorsement for Gem-A Diploma in Gemmology